List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:July 29 2005 3:18pm
Subject:Re: Complete server lock
View as plain text
Ben Clewett wrote:

> JamesDR wrote:
>
>> I noticed, on my Linux server, that MySQL makes a DNS lookup anyway.
>> Even if the IP is used or not. It normally digs on the PTR record. I
>> had all of my perms IP based, however, it still looked at the PTR
>> record. At the time I hadn't set any up in my DNS server. After I
>> added all the PTR records of the clients that were connecting to the
>> server, it was fast again.
>>
>> ...Something to think about...
>

> James, I think you've found the problem.  For the benefit of us novices,
> what is the PTR record?  After which I can add this to my /etc/hosts,
> which should help.
>
> If there is anybody who knows how to build a DNS clean MySQL, I would be
> very interested in knowing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ben Clewett.

 From the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/dns.html>, "You can
disable DNS hostname lookups by starting mysqld with the --skip-name-resolve
option. However, in this case, you can use only IP numbers in the MySQL grant
tables."

Thread
Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
  • Re: Complete server lockJigal van Hemert29 Jul
    • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
      • Re: Complete server lockJamesDR29 Jul
        • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
          • Re: Complete server lockMichael Stassen29 Jul
            • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
          • RE: Complete server lockDaniel2 Aug