List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:JamesDR Date:July 29 2005 2:47pm
Subject:Re: Complete server lock
View as plain text
Ben Clewett wrote:
> Jigal,
>
> Thanks.
>
> I can confirm that there were no domains used for our permissions.  All
> IP based.  Although this may have been the cause, I don't think it was
> in this case.  I think as well that DNS timeouts are in the region of 20
> seconds to 2 minutes.
>
> Would any person know if there is any other part of MySQL which uses DNS
> lookups?  For instance, logging of some kind?
>
> Or any other reason a MySQL daemon would not respond to a kill?
>
> Thank for the ideas,
>
> Ben Clewett.
>

> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>
>> Ben Clewett wrote:
>>
>>> It had been suggested that our DNS failed prior to this event.  I
>>> don't think MySQL uses DNS, but I am not entirely sure.
>>

>> If the db, user, etc. tables in the mysql system database (containing
>> privileges, etc.) contain host names instead of IP-addresses I suspect
>> it needs a DNS to resolve these...
>>
>>> If I get a state where a 'kill' will not cause MySQL to exit.  Is
>>> there any other know way to ask MySQL to exit cleanly?
>>

>> MySQL server was probably waiting for a bunch of DNS requests? Until a
>> timeout occurs it will probably keep the connection waiting. This can
>> cause a lot of connections to occur until you reach max_connections at
>> which point it will not accept new connections anymore.
>>
>> Regards, Jigal.

I noticed, on my Linux server, that MySQL makes a DNS lookup anyway.
Even if the IP is used or not. It normally digs on the PTR record. I had
all of my perms IP based, however, it still looked at the PTR record. At
the time I hadn't set any up in my DNS server. After I added all the PTR
records of the clients that were connecting to the server, it was fast
again.

...Something to think about...

--
Thanks,