List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ben Clewett Date:July 29 2005 2:33pm
Subject:Re: Complete server lock
View as plain text
Jigal,

Thanks.

I can confirm that there were no domains used for our permissions.  All
IP based.  Although this may have been the cause, I don't think it was
in this case.  I think as well that DNS timeouts are in the region of 20
seconds to 2 minutes.

Would any person know if there is any other part of MySQL which uses DNS
lookups?  For instance, logging of some kind?

Or any other reason a MySQL daemon would not respond to a kill?

Thank for the ideas,

Ben Clewett.

Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Ben Clewett wrote:
>
>> It had been suggested that our DNS failed prior to this event.  I
>> don't think MySQL uses DNS, but I am not entirely sure.
>

> If the db, user, etc. tables in the mysql system database (containing
> privileges, etc.) contain host names instead of IP-addresses I suspect
> it needs a DNS to resolve these...
>
>> If I get a state where a 'kill' will not cause MySQL to exit.  Is
>> there any other know way to ask MySQL to exit cleanly?
>

> MySQL server was probably waiting for a bunch of DNS requests? Until a
> timeout occurs it will probably keep the connection waiting. This can
> cause a lot of connections to occur until you reach max_connections at
> which point it will not accept new connections anymore.
>
> Regards, Jigal.

Thread
Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
  • Re: Complete server lockJigal van Hemert29 Jul
    • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
      • Re: Complete server lockJamesDR29 Jul
        • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
          • Re: Complete server lockMichael Stassen29 Jul
            • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
          • RE: Complete server lockDaniel2 Aug