List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 29 2005 2:28pm
Subject:Re: Phone Number Column Advice
View as plain text
Hi,

> I am waffling on how to handle a column of phone numbers. I am not sure
what is common practice on the database side. Talking to some co-workers,
some feel it would be fine to use a varchar and others think there should be
3 integer columns in the database for each number?

> Anyone have advice or know of best-practice on this subject?

Well, there was a long thread on this last week.

Anyway, given that a phone-number IS NOT an integer (eg: leading zeros),
it simply cannot be stored into a numerical column.

Also, these days, you might have character-based phone-numbers:

0800-AOLUSA.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Phone Number Column AdviceScott Purcell29 Jul
  • Re: Phone Number Column AdviceMartijn Tonies29 Jul
  • Re: Phone Number Column AdviceAsad Habib29 Jul
  • Re: Phone Number Column AdvicePeter Brawley30 Jul