List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:July 28 2005 6:25pm
Subject:RE: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQL
View as plain text
"Johnson, Michael " <Michael.Johnson@stripped> wrote on 07/28/2005
01:56:33 PM:

> Why are you going backwards ????   MySql is an 8th grade toy.

Maybe the US Air Force has an unlimited budget but the rest of us do not.
It seems to me that they "powers that be" in Nguyen's shop have made a
decision (rational or not, you know how some managers are) to move away
from a PREMIUM-priced package like 9i to something that can perform
comparably to 9i but at a small fraction of the cost. Calling it an "8th
grade toy" makes you sound uninformed of what MySQL is really capable of.

Sure MySQL may have a few fewer "bells and whistles" than Oracle but if
you don't need to rely on all of the gee-whiz and just need fast, stable
data storage and retrieval, MySQL is an excellent choice. Besides, most of
those "fancy things" in the premium databases can be duplicated or nearly
duplicated using very little client-side code. Of the things that cannot
be run in client-side code (I am particularly thinking of stored
procedures and triggers) those are coming in 5.0.x.

Do you think NASA, Yahoo, and a host of other Fortune 100 companies made a
mistake by using MySQL in their production enviroments? I don't.

Respectfully,

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Thread
Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLPhong Nguyen28 Jul
  • Re: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLScott Hamm28 Jul
RE: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLMichael  Johnson28 Jul
  • RE: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLSGreen28 Jul
    • Re: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jul
      • Re: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLSid Lane29 Jul
  • Re: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLWarren Young28 Jul
RE: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLPhong Nguyen29 Jul
RE: Migration from ORACLE 9i to MySQLPhong Nguyen29 Jul