List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:April 14 1999 11:33pm
Subject:Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.
View as plain text
>On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 06:50:12PM -0500, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
>> So I have to parse the results table? OK I guess.

<SNIP>

>> Btw... what do the results named Collation, Cardinality, and
>> Sub_Part mean?
>
>I'm not really sure about this.  Looks like Collation is either
>"Ascending" or "Descending", but I don't know what that means.
>And Cardinality has to do with how MySQL optimizes queries - it
>has an idea of how the key values are distributed.  And Sub_Part
>has to do, I think, with only indexing the first part of a field
>(e.g., the first 20 characters of a VARCHAR field).

Cardinality is the number of unique values in the field; for instance, if
you had a 'sex' field, with only 'M' or 'F' values, that would have a
cardinality of 2.

+------------------------------ every day -------------------------------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |
| sbedberg@stripped                        http://aesric.ucdavis.edu/ |
| (530) 753-7605                                           (530)754-9127 |
+-------------- computers are making people easier to use ---------------+
Thread
How to get index/key information via C interface.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
  • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Thimble Smith15 Apr
  • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
    • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Thimble Smith15 Apr
      • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Steve Edberg15 Apr