List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher R. Jones Date:April 15 1999 12:02am
Subject:Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.
View as plain text
I have successfully ported Foxpro applications to Linux/MySQL.  I use WEB
pages for the user interface and report functions.  I use Perl for the
programming.  That is about the easiest way.  Writing X-windows programs is
quite a leap from creating some WEB pages with a Perl backend.

>I am trying to port a DBMS application from Foxpro2.5 for DOS to linux.
>Everything I've read says MySQL is the best but I'm not sure where I go
>from here. I'm confident I can recreate the databases (tables) in MySQL
>but I have no idea how I will recreate the end user screens, reports,
>and write the programs that will manipulate them.  In foxpro2.5 these
>functions are all self contained.  First, do I have to learn C, C++,
>Pearl, PHP or all of the above?  If so, can some recommend some books.
>Second,  the user interface does not have to be pretty, just easy for
>the end user to use -- no immediate need to connect it to the web.  Do
>all user interfaces use the X windows system -- the X windows use up
>quite a bit of ram, I would like to avoid this -- and if they do, are
>they stable?
>
>I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but if some one can tell me what
>I need to know I will go learn it and do my best not to bother anyone,
>and most importantly I'll be able to avoid going to MS Windows.
>
>Humbly,
>
>Richard

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@stripped

Thread
OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Richard Reina15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Sasha Pachev15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.S. Whitmore15 Apr
    • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Ed Carp16 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.John Elliott15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Richard Reina16 Apr
Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Christopher R. Jones15 Apr