List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rich Allen Date:July 20 2005 12:49am
Subject:Re: MySQLDump - Command line password
View as plain text
have you looked at using a my.cnf file?

eMac:~ hcir$ mysqldump test > /temp/test.sql
eMac:~ hcir$ ls -l /temp/test.sql
-rw-r--r--   1 hcir  staff  78893008 Jul 19 16:47 /temp/test.sql

contents of ~/.my.cnf

[client]
user    =       username
password=       password

# actual username and password of course are not 'username' and
'password'

On Jul 19, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Cabbar Duzayak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have setup cronjobs to take daily backups of my db using mysqldump.
> But the problem is, mysqldump requires the password to be passed via
> command line, which means anyone on the same machine can take a peek
> at my password using "top", "ps -ef", etc.
>
> Is there a way of avoiding this, i.e. making it read the password from
> some file, etc? Or, is there any other alternative I can use?

Thread
MySQLDump - Command line passwordCabbar Duzayak20 Jul
  • Re: MySQLDump - Command line passwordRich Allen20 Jul
  • Re: MySQLDump - Command line passwordNuno Pereira20 Jul
RE: MySQLDump - Command line passwordanurag.dashputre20 Jul