List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ben Clewett Date:July 19 2005 7:22am
Subject:Re: Views in 5.0.1
View as plain text
Thanks for the detailed information, this is much clearer.  I look
forward to 5.0.x becoming release.

Kind regards,

Ben Clewett.

Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> Hi Ben, all!
>

> Ben Clewett wrote ((re-ordered into posting sequence)):
>
>> Joerg Bruehe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ben!

>>> 5.0.1 will never change, it is out (and obsolete by now).
>>>
>>> [[...]]
>>>

>> I am trying to work out how stable 5.0.x is.  Related to why MySQL
>> advise people to wait for the 'release' status.
>

> 5.0.9-beta (the current published version) still has some bugs which a
> "production release" should not have, and we also want to give the 5.0
> release series still more test coverage.
>

>> You say 5.0.1 is old and obsolete.  Yet is not at release stage yet.
>> This is curious.
>

> 5.0.1 was the first "alpha" version of the 5.0 release series. It became
> obsolete when 5.0.2-alpha was published, 2004-Dec-02.
>

>> Will 5.0.1 be changed before release?  For example:  Will large errors
>> (eg, server crash) be retrospectively fixed in 5.0.1 if found in this
>> release?
>

> Errors have been fixed (and will still be fixed), but with new version
> numbers. Any version number is associated with a certain source code,
> published as a "tar.gz" file.
> Whenever anything is changed, be it security fix or feature, the
> published result is a new code version which gets a new version number.
>

>> The way I thought of it was:  New features would demand a new release.
>

> Major new features will enter into a new release series. Depending on
> the feature complexity, they must be completed when that series is in
> the "alpha" or "beta" stage.
>
>> Critical bug fixes would be made in *all* live versions.  Otherwise
>> why have multiple versions at different stages?
>

> Correct if by "version" you mean the release series, like 4.0, 4.1, or
> 5.0. But within that series, the new version gets a higher number like
> 4.0.25 or 4.1.13. If not yet recommended for production purposes, it
> gets the label also, like 5.0.9-beta.
>
> For more details, check
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/choosing-version.html
>

>> But if no changes are going to occur, why is it not 'release' now?
>>
>> Sorry for my confusion,
>

> I hope I got it solved.
>

> Joerg

Thread
Views in 5.0.1Ben Clewett18 Jul
  • Re: Views in 5.0.1Joerg Bruehe18 Jul
    • Re: Views in 5.0.1Ben Clewett18 Jul
      • Re: Views in 5.0.1Michael Stassen18 Jul
      • Re: Views in 5.0.1Joerg Bruehe18 Jul
        • Re: Views in 5.0.1Ben Clewett19 Jul
RE: Views in 5.0.1Jared Cope18 Jul