List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:July 18 2005 3:49pm
Subject:Re: Views in 5.0.1
View as plain text
Hi Ben, all!

Ben Clewett wrote ((re-ordered into posting sequence)):

> Joerg Bruehe wrote:
>
>> Hi Ben!
>>
>> Ben Clewett wrote:
>>
>>> [[...]]
>>>
>>> Approximately when will 5.0.1 be available as stable release?
>>

>> 5.0.1 will never change, it is out (and obsolete by now).
>>
>> [[...]]
>>

> I am trying to work out how stable 5.0.x is.  Related to why MySQL
> advise people to wait for the 'release' status.

5.0.9-beta (the current published version) still has some bugs which a
"production release" should not have, and we also want to give the 5.0
release series still more test coverage.

> You say 5.0.1 is old and obsolete.  Yet is not at release stage yet.
> This is curious.

5.0.1 was the first "alpha" version of the 5.0 release series. It became
obsolete when 5.0.2-alpha was published, 2004-Dec-02.

> Will 5.0.1 be changed before release?  For example:  Will large errors
> (eg, server crash) be retrospectively fixed in 5.0.1 if found in this
> release?

Errors have been fixed (and will still be fixed), but with new version
numbers. Any version number is associated with a certain source code,
published as a "tar.gz" file.
Whenever anything is changed, be it security fix or feature, the
published result is a new code version which gets a new version number.

> The way I thought of it was:  New features would demand a new release.

Major new features will enter into a new release series. Depending on
the feature complexity, they must be completed when that series is in
the "alpha" or "beta" stage.

> Critical bug fixes would be made in *all* live versions.  Otherwise why
> have multiple versions at different stages?

Correct if by "version" you mean the release series, like 4.0, 4.1, or
5.0. But within that series, the new version gets a higher number like
4.0.25 or 4.1.13. If not yet recommended for production purposes, it
gets the label also, like 5.0.9-beta.

For more details, check
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/choosing-version.html

> But if no changes are going to occur, why is it not 'release' now?
>
> Sorry for my confusion,

I hope I got it solved.

Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Thread
Views in 5.0.1Ben Clewett18 Jul
  • Re: Views in 5.0.1Joerg Bruehe18 Jul
    • Re: Views in 5.0.1Ben Clewett18 Jul
      • Re: Views in 5.0.1Michael Stassen18 Jul
      • Re: Views in 5.0.1Joerg Bruehe18 Jul
        • Re: Views in 5.0.1Ben Clewett19 Jul
RE: Views in 5.0.1Jared Cope18 Jul