List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Farkas Levente Date:July 18 2005 1:34pm
Subject:migrate from 3.x to 4.1 character set problem
View as plain text
hi,
we've got an old mysql-3.23.58 and a new mysql-4.1.10a and we'de like to
migrate our data, but it doesn't seems to be so easy:-(
out old server has a latin2 database. after we dump it and try tp import
into the new ones we always got errors or the spical accented hungarian
characters are getting wrong.
- what is the prefered (and working) way to migrate from the old to the
new?
- how can define the new char sets?
we try these variations (and manualy create the database with defult
char set and latin2):
1. mysqldump --opt -p xxx > xxx.sql
    mysql xxx < xxx.sql

2. mysqldump --opt --default-character-set=latin2 -p xxx > xxx.sql
    mysql --default-character-set=latin2 xxx < xxx.sql

3. mysqldump --opt -p xxx > xxx.sql
    iconv -f ISO_8859-2 -t UTF-8 -o xxx2.sql xxx.sql
    mysql xxx < xxx2.sql

and many more combination, try to read all docs, but can't find any
solutions.
another question what is the collations latin2_hungarian_ci contains?
how can i interpret that xml file? eg. a is equal to á or not? is there
any way to find out how is the buildin contains defined? or any description?
thank you for your help in advance.
yours.

migrate from 3.x to 4.1 character set problemFarkas Levente18 Jul
Re: migrate from 3.x to 4.1 character set problemBruce Dembecki18 Jul