List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 14 1999 5:16pm
Subject:NULL's in text fields after mysqld start
View as plain text
>>>>> "Peter" == Peter C G Jansen <pcgj@stripped> writes:

Peter> I have been the happy user of MySql (mysql-3.21.19-beta-sgi-irix6.4-mips)
Peter> for more than a year. Some weeks ago I discovered by accident that after
Peter> starting the mysql server, some of the text columns in a table (that should
> contain
Peter> data) contained NULL's instead. If I updated one column in one row of the
> table,
Peter> or if I added a new row to that table, the remaining rows suddenly contain the
Peter> data they should. I only saw this for certain tables.

Peter> Yesterday I updated to mysql-3.22.27-sgi-irix6.3-mips (precompiled from
Peter> your homepage since the compilation of the source code failed on the some
> pthread
Peter> problem), but I still get the same problem.

>> How-To-Repeat:
Peter> This session should illustrate what I mean:
Peter> monet 117# /etc/init.d/mysql start
Peter> monet 118# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /z/monet/databases/mysql

Peter> monet 118# ./mysql/bin/mysql -t -e "select id,owner,status from agent" bioinf |
> head
Peter> +-----+-------+--------+
Peter> | id  | owner | status |
Peter> +-----+-------+--------+
Peter> |   1 | din   | NULL   |
Peter> |  10 | pcgj  | NULL   |
Peter> |  11 | pcgj  | NULL   |
Peter> |  13 | igc   | NULL   |
Peter> |  12 | pcgj  | NULL   |
Peter> |  14 | jtan  | NULL   |
Peter> |  15 | mosa  | NULL   |
Peter> monet 119# ./mysql/bin/mysql -e "update agent set status = 'FAILED' where id =
> 10" bioinf
Peter> monet 120# ./mysql/bin/mysql -t -e "select id,owner,status from agent" bioinf |
> head
Peter> +-----+-------+--------+
Peter> | id  | owner | status |
Peter> +-----+-------+--------+
Peter> |   1 | din   | OK     |
Peter> |  10 | pcgj  | FAILED |
Peter> |  11 | pcgj  | OK     |
Peter> |  13 | igc   | OK     |
Peter> |  12 | pcgj  | OK     |
Peter> |  14 | jtan  | OK     |
Peter> |  15 | mosa  | OK     |

Peter> Notice the status column suddenly contains data instead of NULL for all rows.

Hi!

Any change you can upload the table (.frm, .ISM and .ISD) files to
ftp://www.mysql.com/pub/mysql/secret

so that I can take a look at this?

Regards,
Monty

PS: Sorry for the long delay before replying, but I just come back from
    a 2 weeks vacation trip.
Thread
NULL's in text fields after mysqld start(Peter C G Jansen)26 Oct
  • Re: NULL's in text fields after mysqld startsinisa26 Oct
  • NULL's in text fields after mysqld startMichael Widenius14 Nov