List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:April 14 1999 11:10pm
Subject:Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.
View as plain text
On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 06:50:12PM -0500, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> So I have to parse the results table? OK I guess.

What do you mean by that?  The query comes back like any normal
query.  You'll need to handle converting strings to numbers, if
appropriate, but otherwise the results should be in the format
you'd want.

> Btw... what do the results named Collation, Cardinality, and
> Sub_Part mean?

I'm not really sure about this.  Looks like Collation is either
"Ascending" or "Descending", but I don't know what that means.
And Cardinality has to do with how MySQL optimizes queries - it
has an idea of how the key values are distributed.  And Sub_Part
has to do, I think, with only indexing the first part of a field
(e.g., the first 20 characters of a VARCHAR field).

But I haven't looked at the source too closely, so I could be
wrong on any of these vague, useless answers.

> Also, why isn't mysql_list_fields recommended anymore?

Not sure.

Tim
Thread
How to get index/key information via C interface.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
  • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Thimble Smith15 Apr
  • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
    • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Thimble Smith15 Apr
      • Re: How to get index/key information via C interface.Steve Edberg15 Apr