List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Per Jessen Date:July 11 2005 9:59am
Subject: Re: Storing huge amount of binary data
View as plain text
Cabbar Duzayak wrote:

> So my questions are:
>
> 1. The main question is, do you guys have any experience with this
> much binary and regular data? Do you think Mysql can handle this much
> data in a reliable manner (without corrupting data and/or
> degrading/terrible performance) ?

I would say so, yes.  One of my biggest databases holds 50-60million rows, and takes up
about 5Gb diskspace.  I don't think mysql will have any problems running what you
describe.

> 2. Can I implement this using regular SCSI disks with regular mysql?
> Or do I have need advanced solutions such as clustered, replicated,
> etc?

Clustering and replication is more to do with data-availability.  You'll probably benefit
from using RAID in some form - depends on whether you need reliability or speed.

> 3. Again, as you can understand, I want to minimize the cost here. If
> you don't think I can use mysql, do you think Microsoft SQL server is
> good enough for this task?

I don't think so, no.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/freetrial - managed anti-spam and anti-virus solution.
Sign up for your free 30-day trial now!

Thread
Storing huge amount of binary dataCabbar Duzayak11 Jul
  • RE: Storing huge amount of binary dataMatt Babineau11 Jul
  • Re: Storing huge amount of binary dataPer Jessen11 Jul
    • Re: Storing huge amount of binary dataStephen Cook12 Jul
  • Re: Storing huge amount of binary dataDevananda11 Jul