List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:abrea Date:July 7 2005 3:22pm
Subject:Another generalization hierarchy problem
View as plain text
Dear list:
I am preparing an entity relationship diagram and encountered the
following problem:
The entity "individual" has the attributes firstname, lastname.
The entity "company" has the attributes name, companytype.
Now I wish to include the subtype "customer" with the attributes
taxid, billingaddress. However, a customer may be either an
individual or a company, and I understand that a subtype can only
have one supertype.
(I cannot put "customer" as the supertype because there are many
individuals and companies that are not customers.)

How can I implement the subentity "customer" in my ERD?
Can I do it at all?
Thank you

Alberto Brea

Thread
Another generalization hierarchy problemabrea7 Jul
Re: Another generalization hierarchy problemSGreen7 Jul
Re: Another generalization hierarchy problemabrea7 Jul
Re: Another generalization hierarchy problemabrea7 Jul
Re: Another generalization hierarchy problemSGreen7 Jul
Re: Another generalization hierarchy problemPeter Brawley7 Jul