List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ruben Carvalho Date:July 6 2005 5:19pm
Subject:Re: Network drive
View as plain text
I don't have a web server, I mean, I have a standalone
java application running in my clients and the
application calls the database.

Is there any way of having "something" listening to my
application calls in my open machine (outside the
proxy) and this "something" would then call the
database running behind the proxy?

--- SGreen@stripped wrote:

> [...]
> without
> mapped
> > > drive

> MySQL,
> > > but I

> over
> > > the
> of a

> > > Firebird,
> forum!

> > > RDBMS over a network: NOT recommended. Not only
> can
> > > you not enforce
> > > OS-level locking on your files (maybe you can, I
> > > guess it may depend on
> > > your device and inteface protocols) but the MOST
> > > COMMON bottleneck to
> > > database performance is disk I/O. If you went
> with
> > > networked storage, you
> > > are not only going to suffer through disk lag
> (seek
> > > time + rotational
> > > positioning before the operation can start) but
> you
> > > are incurring network
> > > overhead on top of it IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.
> > >
> > > Unless your network device is flash-only (all
> > > memory, no disks), you just
> > > cut your throughput by at least 75%. And even if
> > > your device is flash-only
> > > you will reduce your data throughput by 25-50%
> (all
> > > performance numbers
> > > are rough estimates pulled out of my a** but
> based
> > > on the number of extra
> > > network hops necessary to get at and read your
> > > files).
> > >
> > > I don't care how fast your network is, networked
> > > storage can't be as fast
> > > as local disks. Again, it is highly discouraged
> > > use networked storage
> > > for anything but the most trivial database uses
> > > (small file sizes, low
> > > traffic, etc). For any application that requires
> > > even modest performance,
> > > spend your money on a fast RAID configuration.
> You
> > > will be much happier in
> > > the long run.
> > >
> > > Shawn Green
> > > Database Administrator
> > > Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
> >

> > Rúben Carvalho
> >

> There are different kinds of secure setups. As a
> first idea, your database
> server and your web server DO NOT need to be on the
> same machine. There
> are MANY ways to setup a secure web system. How many
> of each type of
> networking component are at your disposal (proxy
> servers, firewalls, web
> servers, network interface cards, routers, etc.)?
> Different types of
> security are available with different
> hardware/software configurations.
>
> Basically, it all boils down to keeping the users
> only where you want the
> users to be (outside of your network) and allowing
> only certain servers
> (or even just particular processes on those servers)

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
Thread
Network driveRuben Carvalho5 Jul
  • Re: Network driveMartijn Tonies5 Jul