List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:JamesDR Date:July 6 2005 5:13pm
Subject:Re: Network drive
View as plain text
Ruben Carvalho wrote:
> Well, thank you very much for your explanation.
>
> My problem is I would like to have the data files
> being saved in a machine behind a proxy but the server
> running in a machine outside the proxy (the clients
> don't have access to the machine behind the proxy).
>
> Any ideas? Thank you
>
> --- SGreen@stripped wrote:
>

>>Ruben Carvalho <carvalho_ruben@stripped> wrote on
>>07/06/2005 11:06:10
>>AM:
>>

>>>I think I haven't understood your question. I
>>
>>guess
>>
>>>that in case of a network failure you can have the
>>>same behavior as a power shutdown.
>>>
>>>About the networked drives? Anyone?

>>mapped

>>all

>>drive

>>but I

>>the

>>Firebird,

>>>Rúben Carvalho
>>
>>RDBMS over a network: NOT recommended. Not only can
>>you not enforce
>>OS-level locking on your files (maybe you can, I
>>guess it may depend on
>>your device and inteface protocols) but the MOST
>>COMMON bottleneck to
>>database performance is disk I/O. If you went with
>>networked storage, you
>>are not only going to suffer through disk lag (seek
>>time + rotational
>>positioning before the operation can start) but you
>>are incurring network
>>overhead on top of it IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.
>>
>>Unless your network device is flash-only (all
>>memory, no disks), you just
>>cut your throughput by at least 75%. And even if
>>your device is flash-only
>>you will reduce your data throughput by 25-50% (all
>>performance numbers
>>are rough estimates pulled out of my a** but based
>>on the number of extra
>>network hops necessary to get at and read your
>>files).
>>
>>I don't care how fast your network is, networked
>>storage can't be as fast
>>as local disks. Again, it is highly discouraged to
>>use networked storage
>>for anything but the most trivial database uses
>>(small file sizes, low
>>traffic, etc). For any application that requires
>>even modest performance,
>>spend your money on a fast RAID configuration. You
>>will be much happier in
>>the long run.
>>
>>Shawn Green
>>Database Administrator
>>Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
>

> Rúben Carvalho

By proxy do you mean firewall?
If so, open up/forward the mysql port. Much simpler than trying to get
file sharing working through the proxy. I have clients that connect the
mysql server through a firewall and there are no issues. Just open up
the correct ports and you should be set. It's much more difficult (IMHO)
to open up ports for file sharing. Also, if it is a true proxy, this
means you will incur even more lag due to the proxy with file sharing.
It may be better to keep the files on the machine that is accessible by
the clients: then use whatever kind of firewall software/hardware
necessary to keep the computer more secure (if that's the aim of the
proxy.) If it's necessary to keep the files on the computer behind the
proxy for backup purposes, then ftp|sftp etc through the proxy|firewall
with hot backup|db dump may be the best option. Again, a quick breakdown
of what you are trying to do may lead to better suggestions from the list.

--
Thanks,
James

Thread