List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:July 1 2005 2:36pm
Subject:Re: Compatibility with ActiveState Perl 5.8.4+?
View as plain text
"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried@stripped> wrote on 06/30/2005 10:29:48

> Approximately a half year ago I started to install bugzilla on windows
> uses mysql and perl.
> After much grief, I discovered that there was a problem with windows
> and the latest version of mysql at the time. I finally solved the
problem by
> rolling back to 4.0.23.
> It looks like there are some nice features in 4.1 but they won't work
> me, unless someone has fixed the perl DBI interface.
> Has anyone tried the newer versions with perl DBI on windows? How does
> work, for example?
> I'm reluctant to try it out myself because I have applications using
> and I would not want to break them by installing v5.
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

The problem with using the older PERL library with a MySQL server 4.1+
isn't in the communications interface, it's with the authentication. You
can still use older clients (using the smaller and weaker password hashes)
with the newer MySQL databases just fine. You have 3 options to make them

A) Upgrade your PERL library (which you said you cannot do yet)
B) Tell the server to ALWAYS use the older password hashes. You do this
with the --old-password option
C) Manually recreate the password hash for the older client's `user`
account by UPDATE-ing the `mysql`.`user` table using the OLD_PASSWORD()
function. Don't forget to FLUSH PRIVILEGES after any manual manipulation
of the tables in the `mysql` database so that your changes will be
recognized by the server.

These methods are described in more detail here:

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Help needed regarding MySQL-C Libraries on Linux....Ashok Kumar30 Jun
  • Re: Help needed regarding MySQL-C Libraries on Linux....Philippe Poelvoorde30 Jun
  • Compatibility with ActiveState Perl 5.8.4+?Siegfried Heintze1 Jul
    • Re: Compatibility with ActiveState Perl 5.8.4+?SGreen1 Jul
RE: Help needed regarding MySQL-C Libraries on Linux....Ashok Kumar30 Jun