List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nishikant Kapoor Date:June 28 2005 2:11pm
Subject:Re: Ordinal number within a table
View as plain text
[Sorry for cross-posting.]

This is in continuation with the above mentioned subject - I am trying to find the
'display data order' for the returned resultset. The following thread very well answers
my question:

 http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/185626

a) SET @row=0;
b) SELECT (@row:=@row+1) AS row, ename, empno FROM emp ORDER BY empno;

+-----+--------+-------+
| row | ename  | empno |
+-----+--------+-------+
|   1 | SMITH  |  7369 |
|   2 | ALLEN  |  7499 |
|   3 | WARD   |  7521 |
|   4 | JONES  |  7566 |
|   5 | MARTIN |  7654 |
+-----+--------+-------+

However, I am trying to use it in a perl script instead of from command line, and I am not
sure how exactly to do it. I need to execute both statements a & b together or else I
get

+-----+--------+-------+
| row | ename  | empno |
+-----+--------+-------+
|NULL | SMITH  |  7369 |
|NULL | ALLEN  |  7499 |
|NULL | WARD   |  7521 |
|NULL | JONES  |  7566 |
|NULL | MARTIN |  7654 |
+-----+--------+-------+

How can I execute both (a) and (b) in my perl script?

Thanks for any help.
Nishi

Thread
Ordinal number within a tableEd Reed18 Jun
  • Re: Ordinal number within a tableDan Nelson18 Jun
  • Re: Ordinal number within a tableJigal van Hemert18 Jun
    • Re: Ordinal number within a tablemfatene18 Jun
Re: Ordinal number within a tableNishikant Kapoor28 Jun
  • Re: Ordinal number within a tablemfatene28 Jun
RE: Ordinal number within a tableNishikant Kapoor28 Jun
  • RE: Ordinal number within a tablemfatene28 Jun
    • Re: Ordinal number within a tableMichael Stassen29 Jun
      • Re: Ordinal number within a tableMathias29 Jun