List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Griffiths Date:June 17 2005 8:18pm
Subject:Re: can innodb_buffer_pool_size be set > 2Gb on FreeBSD?
View as plain text
I'll post something I heard about when looking into upgrading Oracle 8i
from Windows to Oracle 10g on Linux.

To get more memory for the process, you would enable big memory page,
and then create an in-memory temp file system; you could then allocate
extra memory for a process, and part of it would be swapped out to this
temp file system in memory. Red Hat Advanced Server was the OS of choice
for those who did it - I played around with it, but couldn't get Oracle
to start with larger memory settings (we weren't running on RedHat AS).
Maybe you'll have more luck.

A good page that talked about this was,

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/Linux/LargeSGAOnLinux.php

Good luck.

David

Jeff Smelser wrote:

>On Friday 17 June 2005 02:38 pm, Brady Brown wrote:
>

>>Have any of you MySQL/FreeBSD cats successfully set
>>innodb_buffer_pool_size > 2G without runing into any of the memory
>>allocation problems found on Linux platforms?
>>

>It has nothing to do with linux.. its an x86 thing.. So no..
>
>However, some kernels have things to let you go over, but you get weird
>results when doing so.
>
>Jeff

Thread
can innodb_buffer_pool_size be set > 2Gb on FreeBSD?Brady Brown17 Jun
  • Re: can innodb_buffer_pool_size be set > 2Gb on FreeBSD?Jeff Smelser17 Jun
    • Re: can innodb_buffer_pool_size be set > 2Gb on FreeBSD?David Griffiths17 Jun
      • Re: can innodb_buffer_pool_size be set > 2Gb on FreeBSD?mfatene18 Jun
  • Re: can innodb_buffer_pool_size be set > 2Gb on FreeBSD?mfatene18 Jun
  • 3G address space and large memory on x86 32bit (was: can innodb_buffer_pool_size be set > 2Gb on FreeBSD?)Jeremiah Gowdy18 Jun