List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 13 1999 12:01am
Subject:Re: Backup and restore procedure for tables
View as plain text

sinisa> Gary Mills writes:
>> Suppose I accidentally deleted all the rows from a table.  I'd like
>> to restore the table from the most recent backup, and then apply all
>> the subsequent updates from the update log.  How do I do that?
>>
>> The dumps, with mysqldump, seem to be on a database or table basis,
>> but the update log seems to be on a server basis.  Is there a way
>> to extract the updates for a single table from the update log?
>>

>> --
>> -Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

sinisa> Hi!

sinisa> Your observations are correct. Mysqldump is ideal backup tool, but for
sinisa> entire database(s).

sinisa> If you need to apply changes from update log for one table only, you
sinisa> should filter it with grep or sed, or make a small script or program
sinisa> to do it.

The newer MySQL distributions includes a small perl program
'mysql_find_rows' that will help you do this.

Regards,
Monty

PS: Sorry for the long delay before replying, but I just come back from
    a 2 weeks vacation trip.
Thread
Backup and restore procedure for tablesGary Mills23 Oct
  • Re: Backup and restore procedure for tablessinisa23 Oct
    • Re: Backup and restore procedure for tablesMichael Widenius13 Nov
  • Re: Backup and restore procedure for tablesBob Kline23 Oct