List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Danny Stolle Date:June 15 2005 5:26pm
Subject:Re: discuss: user management: conclusion
View as plain text
Danny Stolle wrote:
> hi,
>
> i would like to discuss 'user management' in mysql. Working with Oracle
> you can assign users to roles giving them privileges provided by that
> role. MySql doesn't have Roles. I have read (Managing and Using MySql,
> O'Reilly) 3 options on managing users having multiple roles in a MySql
> environment:
> 1. Giving the user a Single user ID and assign the privileges to that
> user ID
> 2. Create role-bases users and have different people share the same user
> ID for a given role.
> 3. Create multiple user IDs for each role played by each user
> (dannys_arch as an architect, dannys_dev as a developer).
>
> Which of these 3 options is the most preferable one or are there more
> options which you can use. What are the advantages and disadvantages on
> working with one of these 3 options? how do you handle hostnames when
> working with random ip-addresses on your site.
>
> Or just plain simple (or stupid) what are your experiences on user
> management in a MySql environment.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Danny Stolle
> Netherlands

Thanx everybody for sharing some cool information on User Management.
I have read some cool ideas and arguments on the options which i suggested.

I guess there is no best or a most prefered method on user management.
The method that is being used is the most suitable in the environment
the database is used and the database administrator's prefered working
method offcourse.

But i must conclude that by reading the messages carefully the most
prefered method was option 3: creating multiple user IDs for each task
that the user would perform on the database. Creating these roles and
assigning the user(s) to this specific role (=RBAC). The advantage is
that you can create custom roles for specific tasks and communicate
these roles to the users who will use them. You would also get a small
amount of connections which can leed to high performance tuning from
your MySql database.

Still it would take a lot of time consuming thinking when you design and
configure your database in dealing with User Management.

Hope you all don't mind if i come up with more topic discussions like
this one. I must say it is a real mind breaker.

Hope you enjoyed this discussion; please feel free to continue.
I shall share my opinion on your comments.

Best Regards,

Danny Stolle
EmoeSoft, Netherlands
Thread
discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
    • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
      • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementScott Gifford14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user management: conclusionDanny Stolle15 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementTheRefUmp14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementGordon Bruce14 Jun