List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 12 1999 10:03pm
Subject:Re: custom install (was: <synopsis of the problem (one line)>)
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Benjamin" == Benjamin Low <b.d.low@stripped> writes:

Benjamin> Jeb,

Benjamin> I too wished to install MySQL in somewhere other than /usr/local.
Benjamin> Unfortunately MySQL does not appear to have a one-stop option to
Benjamin> permanently set the target base installation path at build/install time
Benjamin> (a la GNU's --prefix=/$HOME/local or perl's PREFIX=$HOME/local). So, you
Benjamin> have to override the default /usr/local at each invocation of the
Benjamin> server.

What do you mean with the above ?

When you configure MySQL, you can use the --prefix option

When start safe_mysqld, you only have to see to it that you are in the
mysql 'base' directory when you do it.  For example:

cd 'mysql-base' directory		# You should change this
./bin/safe_mysqld &			# You don't have to change this

- safe_mysqld will automaticly detect if this is a binary distribution
  or a configured distribution and invoke mysqld with the right parameters.

Regards,
Monty

PS: Sorry for the long delay before replying, but I just come back from
    a 2 weeks vacation trip.
Thread
<synopsis of the problem (one line)>Jeb E.B. Chard5 Nov
  • <synopsis of the problem (one line)>Jani Tolonen8 Nov
  • Re: custom install (was: <synopsis of the problem (one line)>)Benjamin Low9 Nov
    • Re: custom install (was: <synopsis of the problem (one line)>)Michael Widenius13 Nov