List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Danny Stolle Date:June 14 2005 7:14pm
Subject:Re: discuss: user management
View as plain text
George,

from a MySql point of view, how would you deal with security on a site?
would you than create individual users?

Best Regards,

Danny Stolle
EmoeSoft, Netherlands

TheRefUmp@stripped wrote:
> Danny,
>   My 2 cents (American dollars): From a security standpoint (if you are a financial
> institution) you'd would never get away with #2 because there is no audit trail with
> multiple users using a "generic" user id.
>
>   The MySQL implementation of security is not implemented with auditing and standard
> role based assignments in mind. I am hopeful that they will correct this issue down the
> road.
>
> Regards,
> George
>

> Danny Stolle <d.stolle@stripped> wrote:
>

>>hi,
>>
>>i would like to discuss 'user management' in mysql. Working with Oracle
>>you can assign users to roles giving them privileges provided by that
>>role. MySql doesn't have Roles. I have read (Managing and Using MySql,
>>O'Reilly) 3 options on managing users having multiple roles in a MySql
>>environment:
>>1. Giving the user a Single user ID and assign the privileges to that
>>user ID
>>2. Create role-bases users and have different people share the same user
>>ID for a given role.
>>3. Create multiple user IDs for each role played by each user
>>(dannys_arch as an architect, dannys_dev as a developer).
>>
>>Which of these 3 options is the most preferable one or are there more
>>options which you can use. What are the advantages and disadvantages on
>>working with one of these 3 options? how do you handle hostnames when
>>working with random ip-addresses on your site.
>>
>>Or just plain simple (or stupid) what are your experiences on user
>>management in a MySql environment.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Danny Stolle
>>Netherlands
>>
>>--

> Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
> As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register
>
> Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
    • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
      • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementScott Gifford14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user management: conclusionDanny Stolle15 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementTheRefUmp14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementGordon Bruce14 Jun