List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:TheRefUmp Date:June 14 2005 6:52pm
Subject:RE: discuss: user management
View as plain text
Danny,
  My 2 cents (American dollars): From a security standpoint (if you are a financial
institution) you'd would never get away with #2 because there is no audit trail with
multiple users using a "generic" user id.

  The MySQL implementation of security is not implemented with auditing and standard role
based assignments in mind. I am hopeful that they will correct this issue down the road.

Regards,
George

Danny Stolle <d.stolle@stripped> wrote:

>hi,
>
>i would like to discuss 'user management' in mysql. Working with Oracle
>you can assign users to roles giving them privileges provided by that
>role. MySql doesn't have Roles. I have read (Managing and Using MySql,
>O'Reilly) 3 options on managing users having multiple roles in a MySql
>environment:
>1. Giving the user a Single user ID and assign the privileges to that
>user ID
>2. Create role-bases users and have different people share the same user
>ID for a given role.
>3. Create multiple user IDs for each role played by each user
>(dannys_arch as an architect, dannys_dev as a developer).
>
>Which of these 3 options is the most preferable one or are there more
>options which you can use. What are the advantages and disadvantages on
>working with one of these 3 options? how do you handle hostnames when
>working with random ip-addresses on your site.
>
>Or just plain simple (or stupid) what are your experiences on user
>management in a MySql environment.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Danny Stolle
>Netherlands
>
>--

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
    • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
      • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementScott Gifford14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user management: conclusionDanny Stolle15 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementTheRefUmp14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementGordon Bruce14 Jun