List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:June 14 2005 6:27pm
Subject:Re: discuss: user management
View as plain text
Danny

/>1. Giving the user a Single user ID and assign the privileges to that
user ID
/
#2 has a name (role-based user access, RBAC) and is widely used, but its
formulation above needs a correction: create roles, and users who can be
assigned different and possibly multiple roles.

PB

-----

Danny Stolle wrote:

> hi,
>
> i would like to discuss 'user management' in mysql. Working with
> Oracle you can assign users to roles giving them privileges provided
> by that role. MySql doesn't have Roles. I have read (Managing and
> Using MySql, O'Reilly) 3 options on managing users having multiple
> roles in a MySql environment:
> 1. Giving the user a Single user ID and assign the privileges to that
> user ID
> 2. Create role-bases users and have different people share the same
> user ID for a given role.
> 3. Create multiple user IDs for each role played by each user
> (dannys_arch as an architect, dannys_dev as a developer).
>
> Which of these 3 options is the most preferable one or are there more
> options which you can use. What are the advantages and disadvantages
> on working with one of these 3 options? how do you handle hostnames
> when working with random ip-addresses on your site.
>
> Or just plain simple (or stupid) what are your experiences on user
> management in a MySql environment.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Danny Stolle
> Netherlands

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.7.2 - Release Date: 6/14/2005
Thread
discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
    • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
      • Re: discuss: user managementPeter Brawley14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementScott Gifford14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user management: conclusionDanny Stolle15 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementTheRefUmp14 Jun
  • Re: discuss: user managementDanny Stolle14 Jun
RE: discuss: user managementGordon Bruce14 Jun