List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremiah Gowdy Date:June 9 2005 3:02pm
Subject:Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Smelser" <tradergt@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 7:50 AM

>On Thursday 09 June 2005 09:39 am, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
>
>> I am proposing that when a query is received by MySQL, a timestamp could
>> be
>> taken immediately, and that timestamp could travel with the query until
>> it
>> is actually processed.  For delayed inserts, the query would still sit in
>> the insert queue, and it would still say NOW(), but when the query
>> finally
>> gets executed, NOW() is evaluated simply by returning the timestamp of
>> when
>> the query was received, rather than when it was processed.
>
>Why cant you use the application to do a timestamp.. so when you send the
>insert, it send with the timestamp of when the query would have actually
>been
>inserted?

As I said, there are multiple computers hosting this telecom application,
and their timestamps need to be synchronized.  Even with an NTP "AtomTime"
type program, events are never going to be truly synchronized and ordered
using per-computer application time stamps based on the local computer's
system time.

Thread
INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Jeremiah Gowdy9 Jun
  • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Jeff Smelser9 Jun
  • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Jeremiah Gowdy9 Jun
  • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Jeremiah Gowdy9 Jun
    • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
      • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Eric Bergen9 Jun
        • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()SGreen9 Jun
          • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Eric Bergen10 Jun
        • Re: INSERT DELAYED and NOW()Philippe Poelvoorde10 Jun