List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Blanchard Date:June 9 2005 2:30pm
Subject:RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!
View as plain text
[snip]
Well, Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, Access, PostgreSQL, and Sybase SQL
Anywhere
all do this. I looked at my copy of "A Guide to The SQL Standard" by
Chris
Date. It pretty plainly states that DEFAULT allows niladic (no argument)
functions. Its about time MySQL stopped complaining about things being
hacks, and started getting its compatibility and functionality equal to
other databases.
[/snip]

This is the great thing about products, you can implement the features
that you want along the time line that you want. I have never seen
anyone from MySQL complain about anything being a hack. We have provided
several solutions for your problem.

[snip]
I guess the real issue is portability and compatibility. If any SQL
application uses more than the absolute bare minimum features, it will
not
port to mysql.
[/snip]

IIRC MySQL was built with a nod towards speed and efficiency,
acknowledging that several features would have to be left out. The
development team has steadily added features while keeping an eye
towards the original intent. Many database applications port very nicely
to MySQL while others do not.

As George so eloquently put it earlier, "horses for courses". If you are
not pleased with MySQL you have some options.

1. Join the development work.
B. Find a product more suitable to your needs.

Thread
Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton7 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin7 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!DBA8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Dan Nelson8 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton10 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Martijn Tonies8 Jun
  • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George Sexton9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Josh Trutwin9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Keith Ivey9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!PMilanese8 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob_Savard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Boyd Lynn Gerber9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordan Bobic9 Jun
[...]
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Roger B.A. Klorese 9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!daniel9 Jun
              • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!David Griffiths9 Jun
    • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!J.R. Bullington9 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob)9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordon Bruce9 Jun
  • Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun
    • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun