List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Blanchard Date:June 9 2005 1:47pm
Subject:RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!
View as plain text
[snip]
> Well, George, you never mentioned that this was your problem. And you
> would run into the same problem, given your definition above,
regardless
> of database (unless the database product has a hack to account for it,
> am not aware of any).

Not true. PostgreSQL can do it. If you want the timestamp modified every

time, a record is changed, you can use triggers to achieve this
transparently. In PostgreSQL you can also set the default value (at
creation time) to the output of a function.
[/snip]

I was unaware of that, but then you have to create a trigger...which is
a hack. A timestamp column will update anytime the tuple is updated
without additional triggers. And as Jeff points out MySQL 4.1 has a way
to control when the field gets populated.

[snip]
My understanding was the timestamp fields were only set when the record
is created. They are not changed when the record is modified.
[/snip]

Not true, see above. And you can use the table creation statement I
provided earlier to make a table to test this with.

[snip]
> As far as MySQL is concerned it has been documented that there are
more
> than several large scale database application being utilized today,
> including projects at Fortune 500 companies.

Indeed, but it depends on your application. If you are running something

big but very simple (e.g. 1 daily batch if INSERTs over night, and the
rest of the day of millions of SELECTs), MySQL is fine. On any project
where I actually have to manipulate the data and do more complex things,

I have been finding that MySQL simply isn't up to it.
[/snip]

Really? We do some very complex stuff with the data each day and have
had relatively little problem with these issues.

[snip]
Horses for courses, as ever. If MySQL isn't capable enough for your
application, the correct solution is to find a more suitable database -
not moaning about how MySQL isn't good enough for your specific
application, just because you are afraid of learning how to use
something slightly different.
[/snip]

Spot on.
Thread
Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton7 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin7 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!DBA8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Dan Nelson8 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton10 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Martijn Tonies8 Jun
  • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George Sexton9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Josh Trutwin9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Keith Ivey9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!PMilanese8 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob_Savard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Boyd Lynn Gerber9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordan Bobic9 Jun
[...]
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Roger B.A. Klorese 9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!daniel9 Jun
              • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!David Griffiths9 Jun
    • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!J.R. Bullington9 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob)9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordon Bruce9 Jun
  • Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun
    • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun