List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Josh Trutwin Date:June 9 2005 1:34pm
Subject:Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!
View as plain text
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:57:25 -0600
"George Sexton" <gsexton@stripped> wrote:

> I think MySQL has a little ways to go yet before I would
> subjectively call it best.

ok.

> I posted twice to the list with questions about porting my
> application that runs on (SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Sybase SQL
> Anywhere, MS Access, and DB2) to MySQL. No one on the mysql list, or
> the internals list responded to my pretty basic issues:
>
> 1)	Why can't I declare a datetime field with DEFAULT NOW()

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/create-table.html

"The DEFAULT clause specifies a default value for a column. With one
exception, the default value must be a constant; it cannot be a
function or an expression. This means, for example, that you cannot
set the default for a date column to be the value of a function such
as NOW() or CURRENT_DATE. The exception is that you can specify
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as the default for a TIMESTAMP column as of MySQL
4.1.2. See Section 11.3.1.2, _TIMESTAMP Properties as of MySQL 4.1_. "

<snip>

"For date and time types other than TIMESTAMP, the default is the
appropriate ``zero'' value for the type. For the first TIMESTAMP
column in a table, the default value is the current date and time. See
Section 11.3, _Date and Time Types_. "

Looks like a policy decision, not a missing feature?  Why does the
TIMESTAMP column not meet your needs?

> 2)	Since the SQL standard states that identifiers are not case
> sensitive, how can I use the DB without case sensitivity, when I
> don't have authority to change the system wide lowercase setting? I
> wouldn't have authority to change the setting in a hosted
> environment.

Only thing I would suggest is to work with your hosting admin to see
if they would be willing to change this system-wide setting since
there is no per-user control over this.  If this is something you
cannot live with then choose a different RDBMS.

> I have to say, MySQL still looks like a tinker-toy to me.

<ignoring troll bait>

Good luck,

Josh
Thread
Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton7 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin7 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!DBA8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Dan Nelson8 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton10 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Martijn Tonies8 Jun
  • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George Sexton9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Josh Trutwin9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Keith Ivey9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!PMilanese8 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob_Savard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Boyd Lynn Gerber9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordan Bobic9 Jun
[...]
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Roger B.A. Klorese 9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!daniel9 Jun
              • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!David Griffiths9 Jun
    • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!J.R. Bullington9 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob)9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordon Bruce9 Jun
  • Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun
    • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun