List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gordan Bobic Date:June 9 2005 12:10pm
Subject:Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!
View as plain text
> I think MySQL has a little ways to go yet before I would subjectively
> call it best.
>
> I posted twice to the list with questions about porting my application
> that
> runs on (SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Sybase SQL Anywhere, MS Access,
> and
> DB2) to MySQL. No one on the mysql list, or the internals list responded
> to my pretty basic issues:
>
> 1)	Why can't I declare a datetime field with DEFAULT NOW()

Because MySQL only lets you declare constants as defaults. Timestamp
fields are an exception hack. I can understand why you might want to
port applications from SQL Server/Oracle/Sybase/Access/DB2 to MySQL, but
if you already have an app on PostgreSQL, why would you want to port it
to MySQL? In that case you already have a "free" database that does what
you want.

> 2)	Since the SQL standard states that identifiers are not case
> sensitive, how can I use the DB without case sensitivity, when I don't
> have authority to change the system wide lowercase setting? I wouldn't have
> authority to change the setting in a hosted environment.

If this is your worst gripe about MySQL's compliance with SQL standards,
you have obviously not tried to use it for very complex things...

> I have to say, MySQL still looks like a tinker-toy to me.

It is - but for most purposes it is "good enough".

If your applications grows to exceeds it's capabilities, provided you
have written your queries in a reasonable and sensible way (_especially_
including NOT using MySQL proprietary extensions, and particularly using
enum() fields (which are an insane idea in what is supposed to be a
RELATIONAL database - but that's a whole different rant)), porting to a
database with the extra features you require can be fairly painless.
Porting the data and table structures is certainly simple enough. (I
have written scripts to do this in a matter of hours in the past - the
existing porting scripts are next to useless).

Gordan
Thread
Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton7 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin7 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!DBA8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Dan Nelson8 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton10 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Martijn Tonies8 Jun
  • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George Sexton9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Josh Trutwin9 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Keith Ivey9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
      • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin8 Jun
    • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Kevin Burton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard8 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!PMilanese8 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob_Savard8 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Boyd Lynn Gerber9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordan Bobic9 Jun
[...]
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Roger B.A. Klorese 9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
        • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jeff Smelser9 Jun
          • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Greg Whalin9 Jun
            • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!daniel9 Jun
              • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!David Griffiths9 Jun
    • RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!J.R. Bullington9 Jun
Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!George L. Sexton9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Bob)9 Jun
  • Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Jay Blanchard9 Jun
RE: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!Gordon Bruce9 Jun
  • Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun
    • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Jochem van Dieten9 Jun
  • Re: Timestamp and it's usage (Re: Seriously.. When are we going to get subqueries?!)Martijn Tonies9 Jun