List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:June 8 2005 10:51pm
Subject:Re: ORDER BY and ENUM -- not alphabetical
View as plain text
It's not a bug at all. You just hit one of the features of enum :)

If you want to order alphabetically as you describe cast the enum name
to a string like this
select col from t order by concat(my_enum);

-Eric

Daevid Vincent wrote:

>Please tell me there is a way to fix this "bug" in mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib
>4.0.18, for pc-linux-gnu (i686)
>
>I have a column defined like so:
>Type
>enum('Schedule','Report','Admin','Search','General','License','Access')
>
>If I SELECT, and ORDER BY Type, it is ordering in the order defined by the
>the ENUM, not _alphabetically_ as a sane person would expect. UGH!
>
>Please tell me there is a fix or work around.

Thread
ORDER BY and ENUM -- not alphabeticalDaevid Vincent9 Jun
Re: ORDER BY and ENUM -- not alphabeticalEric Bergen9 Jun
Re: ORDER BY and ENUM -- not alphabeticalalexc9 Jun
Re: ORDER BY and ENUM -- not alphabeticalFelix Geerinckx9 Jun
Re: ORDER BY and ENUM -- not alphabeticalMartijn Tonies9 Jun