List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mfatene Date:May 26 2005 6:19am
Subject:Re: InnoDB to MyISAM
View as plain text
Hi,
If you're loocking for consurrent inserts/deletes, use innodb (row level
locking). This will be better than myisam.

The text column can be created in aother table and stay referenced via a FK.

This will ceratinly be faster since insert or delete on myisam implies a LOCK
table implicit mecanism.

Mathias

Selon Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@stripped>:

> >> Yes it can, they're just not enforced.
> >
> > LOL - that's just like saying that MyISAM supports transactions
> > if you only do transactions that are a single statement...
> >
> > In other words: useles.
>
> Somehow I use these "useles" foreign keys to create relational databases.
>
> A foreign key is merely a column which references a primary key or a unique
> key in the same or another table.
>
> I think you're confusing referential constraints with foreign keys.  Even in
> database systems that support referential constraints and cascade
> dependencies, the usage of such constraints on foreign keys is optional and
> dependant on your desire to trade-off referential integrity for performance.
>
> In some systems, the performance penalty of enforcing referential
> constraints and doing deletions in dependant tables simply cannot be
> afforded during high usage hours for databases that serve real-time systems
> (I work in telecom for example), and therefore one may choose to implement a
> cleanup process during very low usage hours in the middle of the night to
> find orphaned records, delete them, and then optimize the table.  This
> allows you to avoid deleting anything but the primary record while people
> are waiting on the phone, which for MyISAM has the added benefit of allowing
> concurrent insert/select to continue in the dependent tables.

InnoDB to MyISAMScott Purcell25 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMDBA)25 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMRafal Kedziorski25 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMJeremiah Gowdy25 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMMartijn Tonies25 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMJeremiah Gowdy26 May
    • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMmfatene26 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMMartijn Tonies26 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMJeremiah Gowdy26 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMJeremiah Gowdy26 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMMartijn Tonies26 May
    • RE: InnoDB to MyISAMPeter Normann26 May
  • Re: InnoDB to MyISAMJeremiah Gowdy27 May
Re: InnoDB to MyISAMMartijn Tonies26 May
Re: InnoDB to MyISAMDBA)26 May