List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Koon Yue Lam Date:May 24 2005 5:34pm
Subject:DB design question
View as plain text
Hi, here is the case:

one student may have more than one address, and one student may have more
than one phone number

so the db would be:

student
----------------
student_id
name
age

address
---------------
address_id
student_id
street_name

phone_num
------------------
student_id
num
extension

the key of 3 tables are student_id

the problems is, when I want to query both student, address and phone num,
the sql will be

select * from student s, address a, phone_num n
where s.student_id = a.sudent_id
and s.student_id = n.student_id

it won't provide a nice result as data of student are repeated in every row,
address and phone_num's data are repeated in certain rows
The output is not suitable for reporting and may I ask what is the better
way of design to handle the above case ?

any help would be apreciated

Regards

Thread
DB design questionKoon Yue Lam24 May
  • RE: DB design questionGordon24 May
RE: DB design questionBob)24 May
  • Re: DB design questionMartijn Tonies24 May
    • Re: DB design questionSGreen24 May
      • Re: DB design questionMartijn Tonies24 May
RE: DB design questionMikhail Berman24 May
RE: DB design questionMike Johnson24 May
RE: DB design questionMike Johnson24 May