List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 11 1999 5:08pm
Subject:configure fails on configure:5210: checking size of char
View as plain text
>>>>> "joseph" == joseph  <joseph@stripped> writes:

joseph> Configuration script halts with the following:

joseph> checking size of char... 0
joseph> configure: error: No size for char type.
joseph> A likely cause for this could be that there isn't any static
joseph> libraries installed. You can verify this by checking if you have
joseph> libm.a in /lib, /usr/lib or some other standard place.  If this is
joseph> the problem, install the static libraries and try again.

joseph> Note that libm.a is in /usr/lib and I have all the static
joseph> libraries that come with RH 5.2 installed (as well as any updates)
joseph> It also gives me the same error when CXXFLAGS and CCFLAGS =-03

joseph> Here are the last lines from config.log:

joseph> configure:5210: checking size of char
joseph> configure:5229: gcc -o conftest -O6 -DDBUG_OFF     -rdynamic conftest.c
joseph> -lnsl -lm   -lz -lcrypt  -lpthread 1>&5
joseph> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__libc_rewinddir'
joseph> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__libc_readdir_r'
joseph> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__libc_opendir'
joseph> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__libc_seekdir'
joseph> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__libc_readdir'
joseph> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__libc_telldir'
joseph> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `_IO_perror'
joseph> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
joseph> configure: failed program was:
joseph> #line 5218 "configure"
joseph> #include "confdefs.h"
joseph> #include <stdio.h>
joseph> main()
joseph> {
joseph> FILE *f=fopen("conftestval", "w");
joseph> if (!f) exit(1);
joseph> fprintf(f, "%d\n", sizeof(char));
joseph> exit(0);
joseph> }

Hi!

It looks like your libpthread.so file is not up to date.

Please check with the readhat site that you really have the newest
glibc library installed.

At list on my RH 5.2 system I don't have the above symbols in my
libpthread.so file:

(/my/monty/srclib/myisam) nm /usr/lib/libpthread.so | grep __libc_re
         U __libc_read
         U __libc_recv
         U __libc_recvfrom
         U __libc_recvmsg

Regards,
Monty

PS: Sorry for the long delay before replying, but I just come back from
    a 2 weeks vacation trip.
Thread
configure fails on configure:5210: checking size of charjoseph22 Oct
  • Re: configure fails on configure:5210: checking size of charsinisa22 Oct
  • configure fails on configure:5210: checking size of charMichael Widenius11 Nov