List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Roger Baklund Date:May 10 2005 9:12pm
Subject:Re: Solution to slow queries
View as plain text
Paul Halliday wrote:
>   srcaddr       VARCHAR(15),
>   dstaddr       VARCHAR(15),

Are these ip-adresses? If they are, consider using UNSIGNED INT columns
and the INET_NTOA() and INET_ATON() funtions. It will save you a lot of
space, thus increase the amount of data your hw can handle.

> I have read up a bit on merge tables (this is probably the answer) but
> I am unsure as to how you trigger the changes. ie, how do you do the
> rollover after every 24hours?

You would have to program this yourself, there are no mechanisms for
this in MySQL. It's pretty straight forward, though. Just use a shell
script and cron or the equivalent if you are on a non-unix platform.

--
Roger

Thread
Solution to slow queriesPaul Halliday10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesFrank Bax10 May
    • Re: Solution to slow queriesJohn McCaskey10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesJames Nobis10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesmfatene10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesRoger Baklund10 May
    • Re: Solution to slow queriesPaul Halliday10 May
      • Re: Solution to slow queriesRoger Baklund11 May
RE: Solution to slow queriesTheRefUmp10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesEric Jensen10 May