List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John McCaskey Date:May 10 2005 7:08pm
Subject:Re: Solution to slow queries
View as plain text
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 14:56 -0400, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 02:22 PM 5/10/05, Paul Halliday wrote:
> >Now, as time progresses the queires are getting slower and slower.
> >I know this is expected,
>

> I don't think so.  I thought that if the number of rows returned does not
> change and an index is properly used, then query time should not change
> significantly as size of database grows.

True, for the appropriate definition of 'significantly'.  Also false,
for the appropriate definition of 'significantly'.  The index's are
trees which must be searched, this is fairly fast and the time doesn't
grow linearly or anything like that, but the time does of course grow
with more rows.  So if the number of rows increases greatly then a
noticable increase in the time to search the index may occur.

John
Thread
Solution to slow queriesPaul Halliday10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesFrank Bax10 May
    • Re: Solution to slow queriesJohn McCaskey10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesJames Nobis10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesmfatene10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesRoger Baklund10 May
    • Re: Solution to slow queriesPaul Halliday10 May
      • Re: Solution to slow queriesRoger Baklund11 May
RE: Solution to slow queriesTheRefUmp10 May
  • Re: Solution to slow queriesEric Jensen10 May