List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dathan Pattishall Date:May 9 2005 11:15pm
Subject:RE: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDB
View as plain text

       Suse 8.1 2.4.21-215-smp #1 SMP Tue Apr 27 16:05:19 UTC 2004
x86_64 unknown

> b) Which 64 bit Linux distributions are bad for the task?

	2.6 the IO sceduler is still messed up.
      RedHat AS / Suse 9.x are messed up as well

> c) Any comments on kernels, particularly with regard to 64
> bit support and schedulers?  Any problems with the latest
> kernels (2.6.11 & 2.6.12-rcX)?

> d) Any recommendations for RAID volume setup

Use RAID-10 split the disks evenly across each channel

> e) Any MySQL optimisations for multiple spindles, onboard
> caching, stripe sizes, RAID5 vs RAID10.

    Don't use RAID5, use Reiser FS if your using SUSE

> f) Any MySQL reliability settings to take into account the
> battery-backed RAM on the RAID controller?
>
> I'm happy to collate the responses into a summary too.
>
> I'm aware of the following discussions which describes a
> reasonably grunty Dual AMD system with a similar
> configuration to mine:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware_ordered_April_2005
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware_order_May_2004
>
> Best regards,
> Richard Dale.
> Norgate Investor Services
> - Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
>   markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
> www.premiumdata.net

Migrating DatabaseBrian Erickson8 May
  • Re: Migrating DatabaseChris Knipe8 May
    • Re: Migrating Databasepdutta9 May
  • Re: Migrating DatabaseRyan J. Cavicchioni9 May
  • Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBRichard Dale9 May
RE: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBDathan Pattishall10 May
  • Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBJeremiah Gowdy10 May
    • RE: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBgunmuse10 May
      • Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBJeremiah Gowdy10 May
Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBPeter J Milanese10 May