List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Knipe Date:May 9 2005 11:46am
Subject:memory errors / crashes
View as plain text
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely
and this may fail.

It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections =
516080 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

Righty.  Now, the system has 4 x 3.2GHz Intel processors... It has 4GB of
ram... systat shows that all 4 processors are definately used... NO swap
space is used at all (4GB allocated), and yes, it uses the entire 4GB of ram
under heavy load... I am aware of the POSSIBILITY of the 2GB limit...
However, I highly doubt that this is related as the system has no problem to
use the 4GB of RAM (According to top in any case).

1) Why does the system not swap, and
2) Why is Mysql complaining that it needs at least 512MB ram, whilst there
are 4GB available to it??????

I've been battling for over 3 weeks to get this right, I have made multiple
posts on the list about this... can someone please just give me some

We're running FBSD 5.4-STABLE.

memory errors / crashesChris Knipe9 May
  • Re: memory errors / crashesGleb Paharenko10 May