List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andreas Steichardt Date:May 9 2005 9:55am
Subject:LENGTH() and UTF-8
View as plain text
Hi!

We are storing UTF-8 data in out mysql database and we need to get the length
of the data. But length() doesn't return the number of characters but the
pure number of bytes.

SELECT LENGTH('köter') => 6

Currently we are doing something like that:

SELECT LENGTH(CONVERT('köter' USING 'ucs2'))/2;

This works fine but a "real" solution like CHAR_LENGTH() or something like
that would be really apprectiated.

Kind regards,

 Andreas Streichardt
Thread
LENGTH() and UTF-8Andreas Steichardt9 May
  • Re: LENGTH() and UTF-8John Doe9 May
    • Re: LENGTH() and UTF-8Andreas Steichardt9 May
  • Re: LENGTH() and UTF-8Jochem van Dieten9 May