List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ryan J. Cavicchioni Date:May 8 2005 10:47pm
Subject:Re: Migrating Database
View as plain text
Brian Erickson wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>We are migrating our web site from one server to another and are
>having some issues with transferring our MySQL database. Here's the
>process we're currently using:
>
>1) run mysqldump for each table in our database (i.e. one file for each table)
>2) compress each file using gzip
>3) transfer the files to our new server
>4) decompress
>5) import each table using:
>mysql [dbname] < [filename]
>
>Here's the problem: several of our tables have over 20 million rows,
>and this import process is taking well over 6 hours. Obviously, our
>site cannot go live until the database is fully imported, and this is
>much too long for us to be down.
>
>The two possible solutions I've researched are:
>
>1) Copy data files directly. This concerns me because of possible
>version incompatibilities.
>2) Using LOAD DATA commands. I'm not familiar with these at all, and
>frankly, not real sure how they work.
>
>Can anyone offer us some advice as to the easiest way we can
>accomplish this, whether it's one of the above solutions, or another
>one completely?
>
>Thanks in advance!

If you could bring both database servers down, you could tar up the data
directory and untar it on the other server.

--
Ryan Cavicchioni

GPG ID: C271BCA8
GPG Public Key: http://confabulator.net/gpg/ryan.asc
GPG Fingerprint: 83E4 2495 6194 0F66 ED85 22B4 4CC0 DA01 C271 BCA8

Thread
Migrating DatabaseBrian Erickson8 May
  • Re: Migrating DatabaseChris Knipe8 May
    • Re: Migrating Databasepdutta9 May
  • Re: Migrating DatabaseRyan J. Cavicchioni9 May
  • Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBRichard Dale9 May
RE: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBDathan Pattishall10 May
  • Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBJeremiah Gowdy10 May
    • RE: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBgunmuse10 May
      • Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBJeremiah Gowdy10 May
Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBPeter J Milanese10 May