List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian Erickson Date:May 8 2005 8:47pm
Subject:Migrating Database
View as plain text
Greetings all,

We are migrating our web site from one server to another and are
having some issues with transferring our MySQL database. Here's the
process we're currently using:

1) run mysqldump for each table in our database (i.e. one file for each table)
2) compress each file using gzip
3) transfer the files to our new server
4) decompress
5) import each table using:
mysql [dbname] < [filename]

Here's the problem: several of our tables have over 20 million rows,
and this import process is taking well over 6 hours. Obviously, our
site cannot go live until the database is fully imported, and this is
much too long for us to be down.

The two possible solutions I've researched are:

1) Copy data files directly. This concerns me because of possible
version incompatibilities.
2) Using LOAD DATA commands. I'm not familiar with these at all, and
frankly, not real sure how they work.

Can anyone offer us some advice as to the easiest way we can
accomplish this, whether it's one of the above solutions, or another
one completely?

Thanks in advance!
Thread
Migrating DatabaseBrian Erickson8 May
  • Re: Migrating DatabaseChris Knipe8 May
    • Re: Migrating Databasepdutta9 May
  • Re: Migrating DatabaseRyan J. Cavicchioni9 May
  • Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBRichard Dale9 May
RE: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBDathan Pattishall10 May
  • Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBJeremiah Gowdy10 May
    • RE: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBgunmuse10 May
      • Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBJeremiah Gowdy10 May
Re: Dual Opteron, linux kernels, 64 bit, mysql 4.1, InnoDBPeter J Milanese10 May