List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Greg Whalin Date:May 7 2005 3:18pm
Subject:Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.
View as plain text
Hi Peter,

As for reporting bugs ...
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=7437
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10437

We have found Opteron w/ Mysql to be an extremely buggy platform,
especially under linux 2.6, but granted, we are running Fedora.  Perhaps
we will try Suse, but I feel I have heard similar reports (from
Friendster) about their use of Suse 2.6 and Opterons being similarly slow.

We are currently running MyIsam tables, but plan on switching to Innodb
in the next month or two btw, so our performance problems are w/ MyIsam.

Greg

Peter Zaitsev wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 19:01, Greg Whalin wrote:
>
>>What drives are you using?  For SCSI RAID, you definitly want deadline
>>scheduler.  That said, even after the switch to deadline, we saw our
>>Opteron's running way slow (compared to older slower Xeons).  Whatever
>>the problem is, we fought it for quite a while (though difficult to test
>>too much w/ production dbs) and ended up rolling back to 2.4.
>

> One more thing to try, if you have smart RAID would be  "noop"
> scheduler, to let  hardware to do the job.  Smart optimizations OS do to
> reduce head movement may not make sense for RAID.     In practice I've
> however seen close results.
>
> Also which storage engine are you using ?
>
> One of the things which was changed in 2.6 for some hardware
> configurations is  fsync() performance.      It was cases in some cases,
> so it was instant.
>
> This for example explained in many cases why people moving from  IDE
> devices to much faster SCSI devices may observe performance degradation
> (IDE with 2.4 has typically fake fsync)
>

> In general  we have very positive feedback from using Opterons with
> MySQL at this point.  Sometimes it takes time to make it work right,
> especially it was the case when they were new but when it flies.
> Practically same applies to EM64T - It is very good to have now two
> inexpensive 64bit platforms available.
>
> We're getting some feedback about problems on some Fedora Core versions,
> well this is "bleeding edge" distribution so I'm nothing but surprised.
>
> SuSE both in SLES and Professional variants seems to work very well with
> Opterons as well as recent RH EL.
>
> Speaking about MySQL problems - if you have any MySQL issues on
> Opterons,  please report them as bugs and we'll troubleshoot it.
>

>>Kevin Burton wrote:

>>>So... FYI.  I rebooted with elevator=deadline as a kernel param.
>>>
>>>db2:~# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
>>>noop anticipatory [deadline] cfq
>>>
>>>(which I assume means I'm now running deadline.  Is there any other way
>>>to find out?)
>>>
>>>And no performance diff.  Note that you're benchmarks only show a 20M
>>>addition overhead.  We're about 60x too slow for these drives so I'm not
>>>sure what could be going on here :-/
>>>
>>>Kevin

Thread
MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton6 May
  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Dan Nelson7 May
RE: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Dathan Pattishall7 May
  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
    • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
      • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
        • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
          • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
            • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
              • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
                • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Atle Veka7 May
                  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
                    • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Atle Veka7 May
                  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Dan Nelson8 May
              • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Peter Zaitsev7 May
                • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
                  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Peter Zaitsev1 Jun
                    • RE: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Richard Dale1 Jun
        • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton9 May
          • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin9 May
            • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton9 May
              • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin9 May
                • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton9 May
Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.John David Duncan7 May
  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Peter Zaitsev7 May