List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Burton Date:May 7 2005 12:50am
Subject:Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.
View as plain text
Greg Whalin wrote:

> We have seen the exact same thing here.  We used the deadline
> scheduler and saw an immediate improvement.  However, we still saw
> much worse performance on our Opteron's (compared to our older Xeon
> boxes).  We ended up rolling back to Fedora Core 1
> 2.4.22-1.2199.nptlsmp kernel and shut down NPTL and now our Opteron's
> are much much faster than our Xeons.

Sweet... I'm going to take a look at that!

Two votes for the deadline scheduler.  Though I'm an NPTL fan but I'm not sure our DB
boxes need this as they don't use THAT many threads.

> The thing I find strange about this is that our experience (@ Meetup)
> seems to match that of Friendsters (I know of a few other high traffic
> sites that have mentioned similar issues), in that Mysql on Opteron
> and Linux 2.6 is not a good solution.  Yet, Mysql recommends exactly
> this config and in fact, does not seem to even support (via support
> contract) a 2.4 solution for Opteron + Mysql.

Wow... whats the consensus on Opteron here then?  It seems to be a clear winner since you
can give the mysql process more memory for caching.

Is it an OS issue since few of the distributions seem to support Opteron (well).

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator)! - visit http://rojo.com.
See irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.

MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton6 May
  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Dan Nelson7 May
RE: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Dathan Pattishall7 May
  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
    • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
      • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
        • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
          • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
            • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
              • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
                • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Atle Veka7 May
                  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton7 May
                    • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Atle Veka7 May
                  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Dan Nelson8 May
              • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Peter Zaitsev7 May
                • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin7 May
                  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Peter Zaitsev1 Jun
                    • RE: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Richard Dale1 Jun
        • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton9 May
          • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin9 May
            • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton9 May
              • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Greg Whalin9 May
                • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Kevin Burton9 May
Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.John David Duncan7 May
  • Re: MySQL not using optimum disk throughput.Peter Zaitsev7 May