List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Sargent Date:May 6 2005 3:53pm
Subject:Re: no /tmp/mysql.sock
View as plain text
Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> Mark Sargent wrote:
>
>> ... but, my real query, now, is, why the configs/my.cnf were different,
>

> Because there isn't any /etc/my.cnf created on your system by
> default; you are responsible for creating one if needed, using
> the examples in the ./support-files subdirectory.
>
> Obviously the /etc/my.cnf on your system was detritus from the
> with the new.

earth calling mars???...

> Hence my original suggestion to remove all traces of the old
> MySQL installation before starting fresh :-)

yep, did just that, just wasn't aware that the my.cnf wasn't installed
by default(although, in all reality, I shoulda realised such; as how
would it have been..)

> >            along with the coding being wrong in the mysql_install_db
>
>> script, which I had to move to /usr/local/mysql from the scripts dir
>> to get it to run without errors.
>

> Extract from the INSTALL-BINARY file in the 4.1.11-standard dist:
>
>  The basic commands you must execute to install and use a MySQL binary
>  distribution are:
>
>      shell> groupadd mysql
>      shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
>      shell> cd /usr/local
>      shell> gunzip < /PATH/TO/MYSQL-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>      shell> ln -s FULL-PATH-TO-MYSQL-VERSION-OS mysql
>      shell> cd mysql
>      shell> scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
>
> Note that you are directed to run the script from the MySQL *base*
> install directory -- it sounds like you were trying to run it from
> ./scripts, which makes a big difference in the interpretation of the
> 'current working directory' :-)

lord, now who feels like a dill...lol...

> HTH!

Cheers.

Mark Sargent.
Thread
no /tmp/mysql.sockMark Sargent5 May
  • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockSimon Garner5 May
    • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockMark Sargent5 May
      • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockMark Sargent5 May
        • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockMark Sargent6 May
          • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockSimon Garner6 May
            • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockMark Sargent6 May
              • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockHassan Schroeder6 May
                • Re: no /tmp/mysql.sockMark Sargent6 May