List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jani Tolonen Date:April 14 1999 3:10pm
Subject:How to use to --skip-networking flag ?
View as plain text
Bryce Nesbitt writes:
 > I'm running a system where there is no desire for the security hassle of allowing
outside connections to the database.

 > I can start mysqld with the --skip-networking flag, but then mysql
 > refuses to connect, even from the local host.  When --skip-networking is
 > enabled, exactly what methods of using the server work?
 >
 > The documentation is very vague on this point.  Do I need to specify some special
options to mysql to make a different style connection?  How about to the perl modules
that make connections to the server?

 >                 -Bryce

Dear Bryce,

You don't give any information about your platform, nor
any exact error messages you get. With --skip-networking
the only way to connect to the server is via unix sockets.
This doesn't work for systems that use mit-pthreads.

perl's DBI->connect() takes all the necessary parameters,
hostname, password, TCP/IP -port, unix socket etc..
which are the same you can give to mysql client programs too.
No actual difference.

Please repost with mysqlbug and read the section
'How to report bugs or problems' from the manual.

Yours,

Jani

| TcX  ____  __     _____   _____  ___       ==  mysql@stripped         |
|    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|       mailto: jani@stripped      |
|             /*/             \*\                   Developers Team   |
How to use to --skip-networking flag ?Bryce Nesbitt12 Apr
  • How to use to --skip-networking flag ?Jani Tolonen14 Apr