List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hassan Schroeder Date:May 2 2005 2:51pm
Subject:Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested
by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
View as plain text
Mark Sargent wrote:

>>> [root@localhost bluefish-1.0]# mysql -h localhost -u root -pwhatafraka
>>> ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested
>>> by server;  consider upgrading MySQL client
>>>
>>> What is this..? Why is it asking me to upgrade the client.? Cheers.

> master/client are the same machine. I installed via tar.gz, ver 4.1
> following this page
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/installing-binary.html
>
> for installation on FC3. Why would it say that the client doesn't
> support it.?

Because you almost certainly have an existing, older version of
MySQL already installed with FC3, and it's first in your path; try:

prompt# which mysql

:: and see if it's the 4.1 version you installed. I'll bet it's not :-)

If so, remove it or set your PATH appropriately.

HTH,
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan@stripped

                           dream.  code.

Thread
ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent2 May
  • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientSimon Garner2 May
    • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent2 May
      • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientSimon Garner2 May
        • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent2 May
          • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent2 May
      • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent2 May
        • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent2 May
      • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientHassan Schroeder2 May
        • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent2 May
          • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientHassan Schroeder2 May
            • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent4 May
              • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientHassan Schroeder4 May
                • Re: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requestedby server; consider upgrading MySQL clientMark Sargent5 May
RE: ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL clientJohn Schmidt2 May