List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<gunmuse Date:April 26 2005 3:33pm
Subject:Get a Random Row on a HUGE db
View as plain text
I am wanting to display a random page from my site, But I have over 12,000
articles right now and we add over 150 per day.  What I wound up doing was a
Virtual DOS attack on my own server because the 40 mb db was being loaded to
many times.

I have tons of memory and a Dell Dual Xeon 2.8 gig.

Can someone think up a better way of doing this?  I wish Mysql would just
bring me back 1 valid random row  It could be used in so many ways it should
just be a part of MySql anyway.

<?php
ini_set("display_errors", '1');
header("Pragma: private");
header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);
header("Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate");
require_once("firebase.conf.php");
$dbi = new DBI(DB_URL);
$stmt = "Select * from firebase_content Order By rand() DESC Limit 0, 1";
$result = $dbi->query($stmt);
while($row = $result->fetchRow())
{
 $title = $row->title;
 $cate = $row->category;
 $get = "Select cat_url from firebase_categories where cat_name='$cate'";
 $now = $dbi->query($get);
 $rows = $now->fetchRow();
 $url = $rows->cat_url;
 $link = $url . $title;
}
header("Location: http://www.prnewsnow.com/$link");
exit;
/* Sudo code that I am trying to create to relieve server stress.
function randomRow(table, column) {
var maxRow = query("SELECT MAX($column) AS maxID FROM $table");
var randomID;
var randomRow;
do {
randomID = randRange(1, maxRow.maxID);
randomRow = query("SELECT * FROM $table WHERE $column = $randomID");
} while (randomRow.recordCount == 0); return randomRow;
}
*/
?>
Thanks
Donny Lairson
President
29 GunMuse Lane
P.O. box 166
Lakewood NM 88254
http://www.gunmuse.com
469 228 2183

Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbgunmuse26 Apr
  • Re: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbRhino26 Apr
  • Re: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbDawid Kuroczko27 Apr
RE: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbJay Blanchard26 Apr
  • RE: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbgunmuse26 Apr
    • Re: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbPeter Brawley26 Apr
      • RE: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbgunmuse26 Apr
      • RE: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbgunmuse26 Apr
        • Re: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbGary Richardson27 Apr
    • Re: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbChristian Meisinger27 Apr
    • Re: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbScott Gifford27 Apr
    • Re: Get a Random Row on a HUGE dbJigal van Hemert28 Apr