List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Willie Gnarlson Date:April 20 2005 4:38am
Subject:Unique items from all columns, very slow
View as plain text
Hello,

I have been attempting to uncover a fast method for retrieving unique
items from every column in a table. The table has approximately 60
thousand rows. Each row has an index associated with it, and running
'explain select distinct class from dlist' shows that it is using the

However, since there are 24 columns, running that select query for
each column takes about 4 long seconds on a P4 2.4 Ghz.

I've been unable to find any suitable leads through google or the list
archives.

Any cluebats will be gleefully appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

--
Willie Gnarlson
Thread