List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:newbie c Date:April 18 2005 4:01pm
Subject:mysql import or write my own Perl parser
View as plain text
Hi,

I am about to create a database and there are a number of files that I need
to load into the database.  They are tab delimited files.  One of the files contains about
4 or 5 columns.  I am only interested in the second and the third column right now but I
will load the whole table.  The values in the second column can occur more than once in
the file.
As well the values in the third column can occur more than once in the file.

Another file that I want to load as a table into the databse only contains two
column and one column will be unique while the second column will have
duplicate values in the file.

My question is when should I use mysqlimport, or load data and when should I write my own
Perl parser to help load the table?
What criteria would be needed to decide to read a file into a hash?

Also, if I decide to use mysqlimport is there anything I should watch out for?

thanks!

mysql import or write my own Perl parsernewbie c18 Apr
  • Re: mysql import or write my own Perl parserEric Bergen19 Apr
Re: mysql import or write my own Perl parsernewbie c19 Apr
  • Re: mysql import or write my own Perl parserEric Bergen19 Apr